Monday, December 29, 2008

Eartha Friendly: RIP Eartha Kitt


My, my. There are so many wonderful things about getting older ... but the hardest thing is when people you admire or love ... pass on. The hardest.

Sorry this is late ... meant no disrespect, Ms. Kitt. PolCat and I have been having our troubles with our knees -- that’s why these entries/memorials are a few days late. We co-write this blog and the sister blog The Political Cat. Although I must say, PolCat does most of the writing for The Political Cat. I’m recovering from a total knee joint replacement operation on Dec 1st. Part of that recovery is catching up on my sleep and doing killer therapy exercises for my knee. Killer. But they must be done. I wrote in my journal the other day: “ I feel like the Tinman ... my knee, thirsty for oil.” It gets stiff so quickly. I have to keep bending it then straightening it. And lots of other goody exercises to build up strength. I don’t have quite the oomph some days to do anything productive.

Eartha Kitt. I have always always been attracted to her. Yes, she’s incredibly sexy. She knows [damn it! “knew” ... still in denial] how to use her voice and entire body to get attention. But, not to be a prude -- no one has ever accused Ms. Manitoba of being a prude -- I was always drawn to her intelligence and mischievous wit too. She was always interesting and you never knew what she was going to say. Tangent alert!! I was just reading a biography about Jane Austen by the Manitoban writer and Pulitzer Prize winner, Carol Shields. It’s part of the Penguin Lives series. Shields was talking about how in Austen’s day and milieu intelligence was considered a negative factor when men were courting a woman. Sigh. Why is that? I’ve never understood that. Jamais! Intelligence has always always been a turn-on for me.

And isn’t “Santa, Baby” one of the all-time sexiest songs you have ever heard? Her voice is so wonderful.

Also ... she was a brave woman who followed her beliefs and principles. I will always remember how she spoke up at the luncheon given by the First Lady of the time, Lady Bird Johnson. Ms. Kitt spoke up against the war and how President Johnson was sending young men to their deaths -- for what? That took courage. She paid for it too. She lost a lot of jobs after that.

We mourn. It is those of us left behind who suffer. To Ms. Kitt’s family, we send our warm regards. She will be greatly missed.

Some quotes by Ms. Eartha Kitt ...

Having my animals or my children with me exorcises that feeling of not being wanted.


I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.


I punish myself more than anybody else does if I am stupid about my actions, and I suffer, really suffer.


I was given away. If your mother gives you away, you think everybody who comes into your life is going to give you away.


I've always said to my men friends, If you really care for me, darling, you will give me territory. Give me land, give me land.


Let's take care of the necessities first: give people jobs, and find a way to get us out of poverty.


My house was bugged. They couldn't find any information on me being a subversive because I happen to love America; I just don't like some of the things the government is doing.


My recipe for life is not being afraid of myself, afraid of what I think or of my opinions.


The public has become my fairy godmother.


The river is constantly turning and bending and you never know where it's going to go and where you'll wind up. Following the bend in the river and staying on your own path means that you are on the right track. Don't let anyone deter you from that.



When the people who are responsible for our country ask you a direct question, I expect them to accept a direct answer, not to be blackballed because you are telling the truth.


When we want to have our own style of living, it is nobody's business but ours. What we do in private is our private business.
To read an obiturary about Eartha Kitt, please go here. You must register -- but it is free. And there's more about her on Wikipedia ... go here for that.

Peace and rest.

No comments: