Saturday, June 29, 2013

Same Sex Marriages at San Francisco City Hall, Plus LGBTQ Pride Saturday

Today my daughter and I went down to San Francisco's Civic Center. Ordinarily, I'm not there on a Saturday ... my couch and a good book usually beckons. But, what the hell, it's Pride weekend and I most likely will not make it in tomorrow -- I hate crowds. Guess what? It was crowded in SF at 11:30 already! But we walked around and I took photos. My main goal was to go to City Hall -- yep, they opened today to officiate for all those patiently waiting same-sex couples. San Francisco is very special. Thanks, officials! Gavin Newsom and his team led the way. Thanks all!!

(I purposely use "same-sex couples" instead of gay or lesbian couples because -- they could be bisexual.)

Here's my photo scrapbook ... some of them anyway. Enjoy.

And ...

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE HAPPY COUPLES AND THEIR FAMILIES ... SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO THEIR KIDS!!

All photos (c) 2013 K. Smokey Cormier
If you want to enlarge a photo, double-click on it.


Outside of City Hall folks are already celebrating and the SF Pride committee is preparing for the onslaught of thousands and thousands of people tomorrow.


 Food stands are already in operation




The main stage is getting prepared. Sound system is being fine tuned.







Larkin Street Youth - a service for all queer youth




Pinkness



LGBTQ dogs want some attention too, ya know
















Now ... inside City Hall ... it's a really beautiful building.



And couples are getting married all over the building. It's got some cool nooks to get married in.














Guests are shooting pictures and filming.









These brides are waiting -- they're next. (I'd be nervous!)





beautiful



Stairway down into the rotunda.




Under this dome -- lest we forget -- the bodies of Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk were lain in state. They were assassinated by Supervisor Dan White.



















There they are -- the brides -- post ceremony!









Lots of LGBQ clerics were the greeters throughout the building. Here are three arriving just as my daugher and I were leaving.


What a day! More to come.

No comments: