Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Baby by Ken Nordine

photo (c) 2010 K. Smokey Cormier




[Setting the scene ... a record playing ... very tasty cool jazz is playing ... High Top, saxaphone, fingers snapping ... A man with a very velvety deep voice sing-talking -- "Word Jazz" as he calls it]


Wantcha to know that I love my baby
And my baby loves me
Short time ago, we went out
together, to a place called Far Out -- up in Limbo
The rhythm was there.
Yeah!
Something special was in the air.
I reached over and held my baby's hand.
She gave me a little squeeze.
I knew we were in the same key.
Everythings's beginning to swing!
In a quiet, cool, warm way.
My baby didn't say anything.
Just looked at me with that special look she has.
I looked back with that special look I get when my baby looks at me with that special look she gets.
I couldn't help myself!
It was love for sure.
I picked my baby up.
Danced over to the stage.
And I told the leader: "Leader, this is my baby."
He just said "Crazy!"
My baby gave him a special look like my baby does.
He could see my baby had eyes to swing.
So he adjusted the mic and he simply said in his complicated way "of course."
And my baby's shy
So I gave it the first try.

[piano and some scatting ... and to find out the rest, go here or here]

-- My Baby featuring Ken Nordine

Little tidbit about Ken Nordine: he was Linda Blair's vocal coach for The Exorcist. For more info about Ken Nordine, visit this site on Wikipedia.

No comments: